Young Valais was purchased from Lionel Israel, Segenhoe Stud at Scone by F B Haydon. He was a quality bay stallion with a blaze with white hind pasterns.
He had been a brilliant performer winning the the Newcastle J C Cameron Hcp by 6 lengths, the Canterbury Park T C Flying Hcp, the Tattersall’s Club Three Year Hcp and the Victoria Park Hcp. He ran very close seconds in the Queensland Tattersall’s Club and Tattersall’s Cup, BATC Flying Hcp and First Division Hcp.
Champion Stallion Blandford
Champion Stallion Valais
Young Valais Pedigree showing Champions Blandford and Valais
Legend has it he was ridden by Ron McPhee, due to the war transport shortage, from Sydney to Brisbane in 1946, when they were faced with all the northern rivers in full flood. Apparently he swam them all with ease! This trip proved what a great riding horse he was. He showed exceptional stamina and ability in the bush. He past onto his stock all these traits as well as a distinctive quality they were renowned for.
Jim Haydon remembers him galloping flat strap down a steep gully, into the gully and out the other side without missing a beat or slowing down. He was just so smooth and athletic.
Young Valais was by Madagascar (imp) who was by Champion sire Blandford, also the sire of Leading Sire Midstream the sire of Sundown. Midstream is also the sire of Drawn’s third dam. Young Valais’s dam Princess Cadena was by the Champion Valais the sire of Heroic one of Australia’ greatest racehorses and sires. Valais was leading sire 1923-24 to 1927-28 and Heroic 1932 to 1938-39.
Young Valais’s progeny, although in small numbers with only 11 ASH registered, made a big impact where ever they went and have flourished into future pedigrees and generations. Some of his notable progeny include:
* Haydon Bambi, Champion at the then prestigious Northern Challenge Polo Cup Quirindi twice in 1966 and 1967 and Gunnedah in 1966. She was chosen to be played by HRH the Prince of Wales at Scone in 1966. An outstanding all round mare, excelling in pony club events, especially jumping ridden by Lyn Haydon.
* Haydon Gypsey, full sister to Bambi produced Haydon Gypsey II Australian Cutting Horse Champion 1969.
* Haydon Just Fred, full brother to Bambi and Gypsey, sold to David Cowdrey, Nundle, top campdrafter and sire, including Cardonis Breeze dam of the legendary Hazelwood Romance.
* Haydon Gem, Polo Champion Horse at 1967 Sydney RAS, played by 10 goaler Bob Skene at RAS Sydney 1966, played by HRH The Prince of Wales at Scone 1966, won the polo horse race at Scone, good all rounder ridden by Barbara Haydon.
*Haydon Patty Brown by Young Valais produced Haydon Harvest Time the winner of many BBP Awards and campdraft winner Haydon Harvest Home.
* Sensation, was out of a Haydon Starlight mare, a sire sold to Dave Wormwell, Queensland being acquired by Arthur McIntyre when he was 14. He proved a very successful sire, including Best Dressed Champion Brisbane 1976, Karumba Silhouette in 1976 who was undefeated in led and working classes at Roma, Dalby, Miles and Chinchilla, Karumba Token winner of numerous ASH classes, the Sire’s Progeny Group at Bundaberg 1976, Twitchett played in Qld Top Mixed polocrosse team, outstanding mare shown by Maxine Brooks Tara, dam of Silver Minstril and Stroller both with three crosses of Young Valais.
* Eulabah Gleam the dam of campdrafter and sire Little Abbey
* Gold Val sire of Barnetts Flicka mother of Champion mare Abbalee, who had two crosses of Young Valais and amassed a lot of wins in ASH Classes.
*Yandooya Sovereign was a successful sire for the Tindall Family, a campdraft winner and sire of over 36 campdrafter winners.
* Bright Valais retained as a sire by BB Haydon out out of the brilliant mare Haydon Twilight, sire of ASHS Foundation Thora family mare Haydon Pirouette.
*Reveille, very successful sire for Trail Family
* Buttons, Jim Gilmore’s Champion polo mare, dam was by Young Valais.
*Star Black Ministril with 204 registered progeny has had an enormous influence on the breed, has two crosses of Young Valais through Yarranoo Bangles by Young Valais and Sister Monty who is Starlight 11 by Young Valais
Haydon Starlight mare Haydon Opal 11 produced three outstanding progeny by Young Valais;
*Dalkeith Woraki, successful sire with 39 registered progeny.
* Starlight 11 sire of Sister Monty, g-grand dam of Star Black Minstril.
* Wansey Style a very successful polocrosse, show and foundation mare for the Gavin Family.
*Redray by Young Valais produced Yarrawa Marama who won Supreme Led at the Sydney RAS and Champion Mare at Melbourne Show, winning over 55 Champions, including Champion Rider and Champion Hacks, ridden by Tamara Law.
Click for Tara-FM story; Tara, dam of Silver Minstril and Stroller