Young Valais was purchased from Lionel Israel, Segenhoe Stud at Scone by F B Haydon. He was a quality bay stallion with a blaze with white hind pasterns.
He had been a brilliant performer winning the Canterbury Park T C Flying Hcp, the Newcastle J C Cameron Hcp by 6 lengths, the Tattersall’s Club Three Year Hcp and the Victoria Park Hcp. He ran very close seconds in the Queensland Tattersall’s Club and Tattersall’s Cup, BATC Flying Hcp and First Division Hcp.
Legend has it he was ridden by Ron McPhee, due to the war transport shortage, from Sydney to Brisbane in 1946 when they were faced with all the northern rivers in full flood. Apparently he swam them all with ease! This trip proved what a great riding horse he was. He showed exceptional stamina and ability in the bush. He past onto his stock all these traits as well as distinctive quality they were renowned for.
Young Valais was by Madagascar (imp) who was by Champion sire Blandford, also the sire of Leading Sire Midstream the sire of Sundown. Midstream is also the sire of Drawn’s third dam. Young Valais’s dam Princess Cadena was by the Champion Valais the sire of Heroic one of Australia’ greatest racehorses and sires. Valais was leading sire 1923-24 to 1927-28 and Heroic 1932 t0 1938-39.
Young Valais progeny made a big impact where ever they went and have flourished into future pedigrees. Some of his notable progeny include:
- Haydon Bambi, Champion Northern Challenge Polo Cup Quirindi 1966 and 1967 and Gunnedah in 1966, played by HRH the Prince of Wales at Scone 1966, an outstanding all round mare, excelling in pony club events especially jumping ridden by Lyn Haydon.
Haydon Gypsey, full sister to Bambi produced Haydon Gypsey II Australian Cutting Horse Champion 1969.
- Haydon Just Fred, full brother to Bambi and Gypsey, sold to David Cowdrey, Nundle, top campdrafter and sire, including Cardonis Breeze dam of the legendary Hazelwood Romance.
- Haydon Gem, Polo Champion Horse at 1967 Sydney RAS, played by 10 goaler Bob Skene RAS Sydney 1966, played by HRH The Prince of Wales at Scone 1966,won the polo horse race at Scone, good all rounder ridden
by Barbara Haydon.
- Sensation, was out of a Haydon Starlight mare, sire sold to Dave Wormwell, Queensland being acquired by Arthur McIntyre when he was 14, proved a very successful sire, including Best Dressed Champion Brisbane 1976, Karumba Silhouette in 1976 was undefeated in led and working classes at Roma, Dalby, Miles and Chinchilla, Karumba Token winner numerous ASH classes, sire’s progeny group Bundaberg 1976, Twitchett played in Qld Top Mixed polocrosse team, oustanding mare shown by Maxine Brooks Tara, dam of Silver Minstril and Stroller.
- Eulabah Gleam the dam of sire Little Abbey
- Gold Val sire of Barnetts Flicka mother of Champion mare Abbalee
- Abbalee had two crosses of Young Valais and amassed a lot of wins in ASH Classes
Yandooya Sovereign was a successful sire for the Tindall Family, a campdraft winner and sire of over 36 campdrafter winners.
- Bright Valais retained as a sire by BB Haydon out out of the brilliant mare Haydon Twilight, sire of ASHS Foundation Thora family mare Haydon Pirouette
- Reveille, very successful sire for Trail Family
- Dalkeith Woraki, out of Haydon Starlight mare Haydon Opal 11, successful sire with 39 registered progeny
- Buttons, dam was by Young Valais, Jim Gilmores top polo mare
Star Black Ministril with 204 registered progeny has had an enormous influence on the bred has two crosses of Young Valais through Yarranoo Bangles by Young Valais and Sister Monty who is Starlight by Young Valais
- Yaranoo Bangles by Young Valais dam of Star Black Ministril.
- Wansey Style a successful polocrosse, show and foundation mare for the Gavin Family.